Achari Aloo is a spicy & tangy vegetable dish cooked in North Indian Style.
Recipe Contributor- Corporate Executive Chef Sunil Soni , Cooking Time- 20 minutes
Achari Aloo – Ingredients
- Potatoes – 800gms
- Onion – 350 gms
- Tomatoes – 200gms
- Ginger Julienne – 20 gms
- Red ChilliPowder- 15 gms
- Fennel seeds- 08 gms
- Cumin Seeds -08 gms
- Whole Coriander- 10gms
- Kalonji- 04gms Rai- 06gs
- Mustard Oil- 25ml
- Refined Oil- 25ml
- Achari Masala- very little
- Ginger Garlic Paste- 15 gms
- Turmeric Powder- Very Little
How to make Achari Aloo?
- Wash and peel potatoes, and cut them into a rectangular shape.
- Chop onion and tomatoes finely.
- Heat Fennel seeds, cumin seeds, whole coriander, kalonji and rai over the fire in a pan, remove and crush them.
- Heat mustard oil (should be heated till it has smoky flavour), remove from fire and add very little turmeric powder and refined oil.
- In a medium-size frying pan, put those chopped onions and fry it till it turns golden brown after that add ginger garlic paste.
- Next, add salt, red chilli powder after few minutes add potatoes. Cook and stir it for few minutes. You can also add boiling water to cook the potatoes if required.
- Now squeeze mango pickle and collect the masala.Mix this with the earlier crushed masala and add to the almost done potatoes also add half of the ginger julienne.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala and cook for 2-3 minutes and garnish with strips of ginger.
Accompaniments: Serve hot with Roti/ Naan. Utensils: Handis, Frying Pan.
About Corporate Executive Chef Sunil Soni
- Chef Sunil Soni was born and brought up in New Delhi, and did his initial culinary training at Taj Hotel. Always keen on travelling and exploring different cuisines he went to Singapore early in his career and learned oriental cuisine.
- He started his own venture “Starwood Hotel in Kuwait and it became a popular place for both locals as well as Indians to eat.
- Chef Soni has always been intrigued by the royal cuisine of Awadh and revived it in the USA.
- In the USA his biryani techniques were featured in a short film produced in collaboration with Boston University, MA.
- He was featured in a famous TV show ‘Phantom Gourmet’ in Boston USA. His restaurants were consistently Zagat rated for consequent years and featured in as ‘Best of Boston’ frequently.
Some of his unique creations…