Beetroot may help to lower blood pressure because they contain a mixture that relaxes and increases blood vessels, thus improving blood flow. In Indian cooking, beetroot is considered a superfood and are used to make beverages, dips and curries.
Ingredients – Beetroot Curry
- Small beetroot, washed, peeled and trimmed- 350 gm
- Unsalted butter- 2tbsp
- Cinnamon stick – 2-3
- Curry leaves- 6-7
- Onion finely chopped- 1
- Green chillies finely chopped- 2
- Sliced garlic cloves- 2
- Ground coriander- 1tsp
- Chilli Powder- 1 Tsp
- White Vinegar- 1Tbsp
- Caster Sugar- 1tsp
- Light Coconut Milk- 200 ml
How to make Beetroot Curry
- Cut the beetroots into 1 cm pieces, set aside
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan on medium heat. Add the cinnamon and curry leaves. When the mixture begins to sizzle, mix in the onion and fry for 7-9 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chillies and garlic, stir and cook for four minutes.
- Add the beetroot and the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer on very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until the beetroots are tender. You can serve hot with rice.
Check out or other recipes at Gastronomically Yours. Click here.