Chettinad Chicken has all the flavours of a rich, luxurious curry but uses very little oil. Black peppercorns stimulate digestion and are said to be carminative, meaning that they help prevent the formation of intestinal gas. It is the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, where most dishes are eaten with rice.
Preparation Time – 15 Minutes, Marinating – 10 Minutes, Cooking Time – 30 Minutes
Chettinad Chicken – Ingredients
- 500g skinless and boneless chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2.5cm piece of Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 7-10 Curry Patta
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- A few washed and chopped coriander leaves
Chettinad Chicken- Spice Paste Ingredients
- Ingredients – For the spice paste
- 3 dried red chillies (stalks removed)
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Peeled and grated fresh root ginger
- 5-6 Chopped garlic gloves
- 2tbsp Unsweetened desiccated or frozen grated coconut
How to make Chettinad Chicken?
- Make the spice paste and heat a pan on medium heat. Add the red chillies, peppercorns, cumin and fennel seeds and roast for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Transfer them to a blender and grind to a medium-fine powder. Add the ginger, garlic and coconut and grind to a paste.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl, add the spice paste and mix well. Cover and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and add the cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. Mix it for 40 seconds til the spices release their fragrance.
- Add the onion and the curry patta, and fry for 5-7 minutes until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken and turmeric and saute for 10 minutes, adding 4 tbsp of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium to low heat til Cover with a lid and cook on a medium to low heat until the chicken is cooked.the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain rice.
Check out our other recipes here – Recipes