Chicken Balti a popular recipe from Indian cuisine which has become very popular in the United Kingdom. This dish is popular amongst the northwestern states and receives its name from the style of serving dish used– ‘Balti’, a stainless-steel bowl. This dish is spicy and creamy. The tomato here is added at the end to keep the fresh tart flavor intact, instead of having it cooked down into a sauce.
- 4 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 large green, red or orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into cubes 4
- large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5-6 dried Thai chilies or serrano chilies or any chili substitute you can find with comparable heat, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 2 – lb boneless, skinless chick breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp Balti masala
- ½ – ¾ cup full-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 large tomato, cored and cut into fine cubes
How To Prepare Chicken Balti
- Heat a wok, or a wide-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the oil onto it.
- When the oil is simmering, add the bell peppers, onion, garlic and chilies. Stir fry until the vegetables appear to be caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken cubes to it and continue to stir-fry until meat is seared, 5-8 minutes.
- Add cilantro and Balti masala. Stir-fry to cook the spice taking care that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, uncovered. Cook until chicken is a bit tender and no longer pink, 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt with cream. Return back to the chicken, stir and lower the heat. Add yogurt/cream mixture gently to the chicken mixture.
- Garnish with tomatoes and serve. Pairs well with – any variation of flatbreads or with steamed Basmati rice.