Chicken Rezala originated in Bengal and is an influence from Mughlai Cuisine. Chicken Rezala has a very unique flavour for which it is so distinctive from other Mughlai dishes. This recipe goes well with steamed rice, pula or any other sort of Indian Bread.
Chicken Rezala – Ingredients
- Chicken (Curry Cut) – 2 Kg
- Curd (Blended Curd) – 300 Grams
- Onion (Spring Onion Shape) – 50 Grams
- Ginger Paste – 20 Grams
- Onion Paste – 40 Grams
- Garlic Paste – 20 20 Grams
- Cashew & Poppy seed paste -As per your requirement
- Dried Red Chilies- 7-8 Nos.
- Saffron Infused Milk – 20 Ml
- Bay leaves – 5 Nos.
- Mace Spice(Javitri) – As per your requirement
- Small Size Cardamom (Elaichi)
- Cinnamon Sticks
How to make this delicious Chicken Rezala
- First, marinate the chicken using the ginger paste, garlic paste, chopped chillies, onion paste, two tablespoons vegetable oil and salt to taste. Mix all these ingredients in the chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Next, heat two tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) in the cooking pan and once hot, add the bay leaves, cloves, elaichi, dried red chillies, cinnamon sticks, javitri, peppercorns and temper for a minute. After this, add the chicken, cover the lid and let it cook on medium-high heat for ten minutes stirring occasionally in between.
- Next, add the yoghurt along with two tablespoons sugar, salt to taste and the cashew & poppy seed paste. Cover the lid and let it simmer on low heat for approximately 30 mins or till the ghee surfaces and separates from the gravy. Towards the last ten mins add the onion rings and cover again.
- Finally, add the saffron-infused milk and stir for a minute before taking the vessel off the flame. If you wish it to be of a more dry and thick consistency, continue heating without the covering lid, on the flame for longer till you get your desired consistency level.
- Serve with steamed rice, pulao , or Indian bread such as roti or naan.
Check out our other chicken recipes – click here