Chicken Vindaloo comes from the region of Goa and includes both dried red chillies and chilli powder. Chillies are high in Vitamin C and other compounds that act as powerful antioxidants to protect health. You could replace the chilli powder with a teaspoon of lemon juice to make a less spicy curry.
Preparation Time – 25 Minutes, Marinating Time 2 Hours, Cooking Time – 25 Minutes
Chicken Vindaloo – Ingredients
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 6 Cloves4 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Cumin Seeds
- 1 Black Or brown mustard seeds
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 chopped Onion
- 2 chopped Dried red chillies
- Half tsp Tumeric
- Half Ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Malt vinegar
- 1 tsp Tomato puree
- 5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 500gm skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3tbsp Groundnut oil
How to cook Chicken Vindaloo
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the peppercorns, cardamoms, cloves , cumins and mustard seeds and roast, shakinh the pan occasionally, untill you can smell the aroma of spices. watch carefully so they do not burn.Tip the spices on to a plate and leave to cool completely. Use the mixer and grind to a medium to coarse powder .
- Put the ginger, garlic, onion, dried chillies, turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder. If using vinegar and tomato puree into a blender, add the ground spice mixture and blend to a coarse thick paste.
- Put the chicken in a large non-metalic bowl, add the spice paste and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Add the chicken and fry for 10 minutes, untill all the pieces are lightly brown. Meanwhile boil 375ml of water.
- Pour the boiling water into the saucepan and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Serve hot with plain basmati rice.
Recipe Contributor – Sam Mathew
To know more about Goan Cuisine, visit this link – Goan Cuisine
Check out our other recipes at this link – Recipes