Malabar Chicken Curry Recipe
Malabar Chicken Curry is a dish from Kerala in South India. Maximum of South Indian people loves this dish. This is a deliciously aromatic curry cooked in a spicy coconut gravy.
Malabar Chicken Curry : Preparation Time- 20 Minutes , Cooking Time – 30 Minutes
Malabar Chicken Curry- Ingredients
- Olive Oil- 2 Tbsp
- Chopped Shallots – 5-6
- Skinless and boneless chicken breasts (Curry cut) – 500gms
- Ground Coriander- 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 Tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
For the spice Paste
- Cinnamon Stick- 3 to 4
- Bay Leaves – 2 Cloves – 2
- Black Peppercorns – 4
- Freshly grated coconut- 500gm
- Fresh root ginger (peeled) – 2 to 3
- Garlic Cloves- 4
- Olive Oil- 1 Tsp
- Brown Mustard Seeds- 1/2 Ttsp
- Green Chillies- 2
How to make Malabar Chicken Curry?
- Prepare the spice paste. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cloves and black peppercorns. Roast and toss them gently for about a minute until you can smell the fragrance of the spices. Transfer to the blender and grind it to a fine powder.
- Add the coconut, ginger and garlic and 200 ml of water to mix it to a thick paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the shallots and fry it till it gets soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 6 minutes till it turns white.
- Add the ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and salt and mix it well along with the spice paste. Plus add 400ml of boiled water and cook for 15 minutes till the chicken is cooked.
- Next, for tempering, heat a small frying pan and add the oil. Add a few of the mustard seeds; once it has a crackling sound add the remaining mustard seeds along with green chillies & fry it for two minutes. Pour the mixture over the chicken curry and cook for four minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with basmati rice/ pulao.
Check out our other recipes – here