Mustard Fish Curry Recipe
Mustard oil is extracted from pressed mustard seeds, it is dark yellow in colour and slightly pungent. It is often used in east India and Bangladesh and is rich in Vitamin E. Before purchasing mustard oil just make sure it’s suitable for cooking and internal use. The mustard fish curry recipe a Bengali dish made from hilsa fish and is hot and spicy cooked in mustard gravy. This dish is very popular in the Eastern part of India especially West Bengal and also in Bangladesh.
Ingredients – Mustard Fish Curry Recipe
- Hilsa Fish – 750 Grams
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard Powder – 3 Tablespoon
- Chilli Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Salt- 1/4 Tsp
- Mustard Oil – 3 Tablespoon
- Nigella Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- 2 Green Chillies – chopped at angle
How to make mustard fish curry recipe?
- Sprinkle the fish pieces with turmeric and set aside.
- Mix the mustard powder, chilli powder and salt with about 7-8 tablespoons of water to make a thick paste.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Carefully add the fish pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan on heat.
- Add a few of the nigella seeds; when they start to crackle and add few more remaining seeds and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Next, Add the mustard paste and cook for 2 minutes later add the chillies, mix well and cook on a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the fish to the pan, mix carefully and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Next, Serve hot with plain basmati rice.
Check out our other recipe column- click here